Thursday, May 28, 2009

Abra-cadabra

Here in the big, bad city I find myself working for someone who I will refer to as Bossman. And he is just that. He is a high powered executive-type who never eats in my presence unless it's ice cream. Bossman is quite possibly one of the coolest people I know. He enjoys to give me crap about my love life (and whatever flirting I may or may not have done in his presence at a recent conference), calls me out when I look tired (which for some reason comes across as stoned... which I'm not), or when I seem in any way dissatisfied. On my first day in the office he promised to always make time for me and encouraged me to ask as many questions as possible.

What more can you ask for?

He can also say, "Hey, guess what xxxxxx's email address is?" xxxx, of course, being someone that I have admired for quite some time. He will then respond with a somewhat juvenile email that gives me further insight into the workings of this person's mind, but that's neither here nor there.

Bossman also seems to have magical powers. With a wave of his wand he can score tickets to almost anything that I might want to go to. It's incredible!

"A, have you seen this yet?"
"No, sir."
"Alright. You free Sunday?"
"Yes, sir."
"Okay. You have tickets for Sunday."

POOF! Just like that! I have tickets to one of the hottest gigs in town! Are you kidding me?

I admire Bossman tremendously. He has a way with people and he genuinely cares. You can see it in how he interacts, even if it's on the phone. If they respect his time, he respects theirs. It really inspires me to see people in such high positions to take an active part in educating and furthering the careers of younger people in the industry. And maybe not even younger, for that matter. He has so much knowledge to give.

I also don't know when he has time to sleep as he goes home to do more work and I am struggling to stay awake during the work day.

Bossman also seems to have not only taken an interest in my professional life, but also my personal happiness. Constantly making sure that I am both happy and productive, I don't think I could have asked for a better opportunity. As of now, I would think it is safe to say that one of my greatest fears is disappointing him. Either that, or making an enormous fool of myself in front of him.

I have found that when one respects and likes his or her employer, one works harder for fear of disappointing said employer. Or maybe it's because one wishes to gain respect and trust. I'm not sure. It could be a combination of all of these things. But I find myself volunteering, snatching up new projects, going home and working more, and even going in when I'm not scheduled. Call it fear. Call it a passion to learn. Hell, you could even call me the biggest suck up you've ever seen (though it really isn't that). The point is that I'm working my ass off for Bossman and I really, really hope that it pays off.

I mean hell... I already have tickets for Sunday night, right?

1 comment:

  1. Oh, COME ON. Vague is one thing, but you have to tell your loyal readers what show you're going to see ...

    ReplyDelete